Sunday, June 15, 2008

More USENET

Audiophiles kill me. $500 AC power cord? Unfortunately they have invaded the boutique luthier world. A while back, I auditioned six "one man shop" super high end OOO size guitars. They all sounded fantastic, but turned me off. Then it hit me...they sounded like great studio recordings of guitars!!! I stuck with my mahogany top 1929 Gibson L-0.

My favorite "Richard Cranium" USENET newsgroup recently hosted an audiophile flame war. I contributed.

WHAT ARE THE BEST SPEAKERS?

from STEREOPHILOPAEDIA (May, 1999):

...however, the absolute, ultimate best perfect loudspeaker was made from 1969-71 by Woofertweeter Audio Transducer Works, Ltd. of Mahwah, NJ. Approximately 112 identical copies of James Chambers' French Horn bell were fabricated by three retired female identical triplets who survived the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and spent their remaining working lives tuning shofars. Once the bells were completed, Moe Blattbogen, founder of Woofertweeter Audio Transducer Works, Ltd., brought them to his uncle Julius in Queens, NY where they hand stretched and fastened (using Kosher hide glue) the world's supply of foreskin skin to the large end. Back in the Woofertweeter Audio Transducer Works, Ltd. workshop, Moe attached his secret electromechanicalacoustic transducer and fashioned the cabinets from wood salvaged from an unidentified upstate Jewish Summer Sleep-Away camp cabin. 110 units were sold. Seven are known to exist.

No comments: