Friday, February 25, 2011

mommy blog

I ran across a five page article in the NYT about what may be a parallel universe; a parallel universe that is an exact enantiomer of our own:

der ,,mommy-blog'' welt.


Let me explain.

Carbon is tetravalent, that is to say, the maximum number of bonds the atom can make to other atoms is four. Carbon can also form what are called "multiple bonds", examples are double bonds (H2C=N-H), triple bonds (H-C=C-H), but we will consider good ol' single bonds, like we find in methane, CH4. At this point, just remember the bond count for carbon is four.

When a carbon atom has four single bonds to other atoms, like methane, the shape of the molecule is a tetrahedron, one of the platonic solids.


Let's not get into why, MO theory is boring. But consider this: if the four substituents bound to the central atom are all chemically or structurally distinct, we get a tetrahedron with a special, unique topology. You get what's called a chiral molecule. A chiral molecule is a type of molecule that lacks an internal plane of symmetry and has a non-superposable mirror image, that is to say, it comes in right and left-handed (enantiomeric, see above) forms!


Now here is the mind blowing thing; all life as we know it is chiral! In fact, because all of the natural amino acids (except one) are left-handed chiral, this is a sure signature of life (think proteins)!

In the "mommy blog" universe, however, everything must be different at a very fundamental, mind-blowingly enantiomeric level.

This is from the mother of all mommy blogs, http://www.dooce.com/

One of a few diet tips my trainer shared with me when I started working with her over a year ago was to snack on canned tuna (diet here does not refer to losing weight, but instead to eating healthy), and before you go and make that gagging noise that [husband] Jon does every time I even mention it, just hear me out. Or maybe you can't hear me over Jon's gagging. That's fine. Sometimes he can't hear his geek podcasts because of the sound of my eyes rolling. Today I got home from spin class and headed straight for the cabinet where I keep the tuna. I hadn't even opened the can of tuna and [daughter] Marlo was tugging on my pants while saying, "Up! Up!" This should be interesting, I thought, especially since I was opening up a new exotic mustard I found online. You guys, this combination is awesome, and it gets even more awesome if you add in a whole wheat tortilla, some shredded cabbage and a blow job!

This entry was dated 8 Feb 2011. You wouldn't know that anything, FUCKING ANYTHING ELSE was going on in the world outside of this mommy universe.


And in her ears the little Seashells, the thimble radios tamped tight, and an electronic ocean of sound, of music and talk and music and talking coming in.


-Ray Bradbury

No comments: